Music in Bulgaria
There is something symbolic in the fact that millennia later the homeland of the mythical Orpheus is again attracting world attention and being talked about as the "Bulgarian musical miracle".
Boris Christoff became a standard of scenic and artistic presence on the world opera stages, and the name of acclaimed singers such as Nikolai Ghiaurov, Nikolas Gyuzelev, Raina Kabaivanska, Ghena Dimitrova and Alexandrina Milcheva invariably figure on their bills.
The triumphant guest performances of Sofia Opera are still remembered far and wide.
Bulgarian choirs are reaping top honours at international festivals.
The Bulgarian performers Mincho Minchev, Milcho Leviev and Alexis Weissenberg are enthusiastically applauded worldwide.
As the successor of glorious traditions Bulgaria is still a center of prestigious international events:
- Sofia Music Weeks ( May-June) in Sofia;
- New Year's Music Festival ( December- January) in Sofia;
- March Music Days (March) in Ruse;
- Varna Summer ( June-July) in Varna;
- Appolonia Festival of the Arts (September) in the museum town Sozopol;
- Festival of Music and Scenic Art in the Antique Theater in Plovdiv.